Home  

Photograph © Chris Allen, under this Creative Commons licence

 

Watermills at St Fagans: National History Museum

Location
Grid reference: ST 110 770
OS sheet: 171
Postcode: CF5 6XB
Off junction 33 of the M4, W of Cardiff. Follow brown signs.

Five mills:

  1. Deheufryn Gorse Mill. A small, water-driven mill from Colwyn Bay, used for crushing gorse shoots for horse feed. Not working, static exhibit.
  2. Esgair Moel Woollen Mill. This mill came from Llanwrtyd in Powys and represents the Welsh woollen industry at its simplest level. The internal waterwheel drives the machinery and there are working demonstrations. Blankets are for sale when available.
  3. Melin Bompren (pictured). A 3-storey, water-powered corn mill from Ceredigion, built in 1852. There is an adjacent corn-drying kiln. Working demonstrations. Flour produced in Melin Bompren can be bought at the Museum
  4. Rhayader Tannery. A large range of buildings in which all stages of the conversion of hides to leather are displayed. The overshot waterwheel was used to grind bark, but now static exhibit only.
  5. Ty'n Rhos Sawmill. A small country timber sawmill from Ceredigion, established 1868. The present building was built in 1891 and includes an iron waterwheel, which does not operate.

Opening times 2017
Museum hours, daily 10.00-17.00 except 24th-26th December & 1st January.

National Mills Weekend opening times 2017
Saturday and Sunday, 10.00-17.00.

Contact
Tel. 029 2057 3500.

Email
Official contact form at www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/600/?g=post&museum=stfagans

Web site
www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/stfagans