Photograph © Martin Bodman, under this
Creative Commons Licence
Piles Watermill, Allerford
Grid reference: SS 905 465
OS sheet: 180
Postcode: TA24 8HP
About 4 miles W of Minehead. S of A39 S of Allerford. Turn off for Luccombe. Mill is on R.
This small jointed cruck building dates from the 16th century, and has a 10ft overshot waterwheel.
Most machinery is in place, but no water. Originally a corn mill, it was used for cider making between
1930 and 1940. There are interpretative panels about the mill and a small agricultural display.
It is part of the Holnicote Estate, and is owned by the National Trust. Tea-rooms in Allerford and Selworthy.
Opening times 2016
Closed at present for repairs.
Enquire to Holnicote Estate Office for Key. Open days to be arranged later
in the year.
Holnicote Estate Office, tel. 01643 862452.