Photograph © Jim Woodward-Nutt
Michelham Priory Watermill
Grid reference: TQ 556 093
OS sheet: 199
Postcode: BN27 3QS
Situated in Upper Dicker. Follow brown signs to Michelham Priory from A22 at Golden Cross or
A27 from Alfriston roundabout.
The 3-storey timber framed building dates from the 15th century, but has been
rebuilt several times, using much of the original material. In 1896 an iron
waterwheel was added, but in 1924 milling ceased and the machinery was removed.
The mill was restored in 1971 with rescued machinery and a wooden waterwheel,
but this was replaced with a new cast iron one in the 1990s thanks to a Heritage
Lottery Fund grant. Milling subject to availability of volunteers and water!
Opening times 2017
Priory open 11th February to
17th December daily,
10.30-17.00 (11.00 -16.00 in February, November and December). Parties by prior arrangement.
Mill open from
14.00-16.00 daily, subject to volunteers. Please check by phoning us on the day.
National Mills Weekend opening times 2017
13th May & Sunday, 14th May, 12.00-15.00. On Saturday there will be a four talks
between 12.00 & 15.00 in our Tudor Great Barn around the engineering
theme. at 12.00 and 13.50, Pevensey Ukelele Group will be playing.
On Sunday, South Downs Folk Singers performing between 12.00 and 14.00. There should be cakes and bread to purchase, made with Michelham flour, subject to water availability to power the mill,
Tel. 01323 844224.