Photograph © Betty Longbottom, under this
Creative Commons Licence
Claverton water-powered pumping station
Grid reference: ST 793 645
OS sheet: 172
Postcode: BA2 7BH
5 miles S of Bath, A36 Bath to Warminster road. Turn L on river side of railway level crossing
down Ferry Lane, opposite Claverton village. (Caution - uncontrolled level crossing).
A waterwheel-powered beam engine pumping station, built in 1813 to pump water from the River Avon
to the Kennet and Avon Canal. Has a 18ft x 25-ft wide waterwheel. Restored to working order in 1978.
Owned by British Waterways Board and in the care of the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust.
Opening times 2017
Due to major works taking place
on replacing the waterwheel and the pitwheel cogs, it has been decided NOT to
open the pump house to the general public until the works are complete, which
will be from 27th May 2017. From then we will
be open on the last Saturday of each month until the end of September.
Guided tours to groups are
also available, please contact us for details.
National Mills Weekend opening times 2017
open 2017. We hope to be open in 2018
At pump, tel. 01225 483001, or John Adams, tel. 0117 986 5264. Parties: Jim Caldwell, tel. 01373 864957.