Photograph © Chris Allen, under this
Creative Commons Licence
St Mary's Mill, Chalford
Grid reference: SO 886 021
OS sheet: 162
Off A419, at E side of Chalford.
An 1820 stone-built former textile mill with an 1844 breastshot waterwheel with rim drive last used in 1946.
Also a Tangye horizontal compound steam engine installed in 1904 and last used in 1956.
Now turned by electricity.
Opening times 2018
Saturday 5th & Sunday 6th May,
11.00 - 18.00; National Mills Weekend (see below); 4th Sundays in June &
August . Other times by appointment. No parking at the mill except for the
web site details
of access and opening times.
National Mills Weekend 2018
Saturday 12th & Sunday 13th May, 11.00 - 18.00. No booking required. Admission free.
Ian Mackintosh, Stroudwater Textile Trust, tel. 01453 766273.