Photograph © Nick Meers/National Trust
Sawmill and corn mill at Castle Ward, Strangford, County Down
Grid reference: J 572 494
Postcode: BT30 7LS
Seven miles NE of Downpatrick, 1.5 miles W of Strangford village on A25.
- A 2-storey working corn mill, originally a tide mill, built in the early 1700s, and last worked
commercially around 1920. Restored to working order 1991-2. The complex houses a kiln, thresher,
winnower and two pairs of millstones. The mill operates on Sunday afternoons.
- A 19th century sawmill, preserved but not working. Open to view in
Both mills are within the grounds of Castle Ward, owned by the National Trust.
Also a mid-Georgian mansion with Victorian laundry & playroom. Landscape garden. Tea room. Shop. Wildlife centre.
Opening times 2017
House & Mill 12.00 - 17.00 from 17th March to October, daily.
Farm, & Stable yard from 10.00 daily. Grounds open daily all year, 10.00-17.00 (to 20.00, April to September). Corn mill operates on Sundays,
Easter to September,
14.00 - 16.00. If closed at other times the key can be picked up at the reception in the Stableyard. See also
for more details.
National Mills Weekend opening times 2017
Saturday 13th & Sunday 14th May, 10.00 -17.00.
Sarah Sharp, Assistant Visitor Services Manager, tel. 028