Pictures © St Johns
St Johns Mill, St Johns, Isle of Man
Grid reference: SC 284 824
OS Sheet: 95
Post Code: IM4 3AF
The Mill is on the south side of the River Neb approximately 300 yards below
Ballig Bridge, St John's. Directions are available on the
Mill is one of the oldest Industrial buildings on the Island, probably dating
back to late 1700's. It was originally a fulling or Tuck Mill, which was
extended in 1846 when two additional floors were added. It would then also have
undertaken hand weaving using homespun woollen yarns.
Following the extension the overshot wheel was doubled in width and became
internal with a direct drive to two sets of fulling stocks, the most recent
of which dates back to 1816 and was cast at Kirkstall Forge, Leeds. The Mill was
restored by St Johns Mill, a registered Manx Charity between 2001 and 2003. The
Mill wheel was subsequently rebuilt by Stan Kewley and Eric Wilkins MBE, and, as
advised by Manx National Heritage the original fulling stocks were left in
position due to their fragile state and rarity. The wheel is now in excellent
order and runs regularly. Talk and tours are available by arrangement.
Some additional items remain: part of the original shaft,
original spoke housings, evidence of shafting lines, hand operated press,
replica tenter frames.
The mill is now a christian
By appointment only, visitors welcome, please phone.
National Mills Weekend opening times 2016
Saturday 14th May 11.00 - 17.00. Waterwheel turning;
talk on restoration of wheel; A film on the History of the Woollen industry will
be shown, & the.
local Guild of Spinners and Weavers will provide demonstrations. Light
Refreshments and afternoon tea will be available throughout the day (Groups
please book )